Why not me?

2 years ago, my brother-in-law ( Tech-Tri ) convienced my husband to run a marathon. It was so amazing watching him train and finish. I thought, I can do that too.. But wait? there is not one athletic bone in my body. I'm over wieght.. there is no way I can do that. My husband encouraged me, and I signed up to join a running group. (run/walk). best thing I ever did. Ran my first 5k July of 2009. Well this year again, My brother-in-law (love him!) conviences by husband to do triathlon. So I figured what the heck if he can do it..

Then why not me.!

So this is all about my adventures in training for my first sprint Triathlon. I picked the Women's Triathlon.


Friday, September 3, 2010

It feels like Christmas...!

My husband got me some new goodies..! Tyr Wetsuit, Science Rocket Jane Tri Back, Tri Mat, Race belt and a Road ID..! Now I am all ready for the my race..!

I wish my mind was ready.. I have issues with the swim. My Husband says its all in my head, as I have no problem swimming 1/2 mile in the pool. It all started when we went out for the 1st time to use my wetsuit... first of all.. what a pain to put those things on. And I have watched many many videos on how to do it.. it doesn't make it any easier. Anyways, we got into the water, started swimming and I swear I thought I could not breath. I was having a panic attack!. It took me forever to finish the 1/2 mile swim. As I kept stopping and tellimg him that I could not breath. I couldn't catch my breath. He felt it was because of the wetsuit and I was not used to it yet. I did ask my coach is this is normal, and she did say yes, some people do feel constricted in the suit, you just need to get use to it.

We went out the next day again, as I felt I needed to, so I can get used to the wetsuit. But this time instead of rushing out to do the swim, we just hung out at first in the water, he had me do a few short laps to warm up. I did feel a little better this time. I wasn't as panicked as I was the day before. We went out again on Thursday, with the group. We all swam the 1/2. I still felt a little out of breath and slow..! I kept telling him, I can't do this. Maybe I am just used to swimming in a pool, and in open water, I just can't seem to get my endurance to keep on swimming. I kept on stopping. Unlike the pool, you reach one end and you turn around, and yeah, I may do it non-stop, but you do get that quick break between each lap. So again, my husband thinks its all in my head. As he know I can swim the 1/2 miles as I done it in the pool, with no issues. Now with only 8 days left till the race.. I am really worried about the swim portion. I am hoping to go out at least 2 more times, prior to the race.. Just to make me at ease. Again, it could all just be a head game and I just need to say to my self.. I CAN DO IT..!

We just got our final instructions for the race. They are going to have wetsuit strippers..! Cool, as that is another thing I have issues with, it always get stuck at my feet.

There will be 5 waves.. Not sure if I will be with my age group or if since I am with a beginners group training, if they will put in the first timers wave. Which are last, which means less time to finish. Last waves goes in at 7:46am and cutoff is at 8:30am. So that gives me 44 mins to finish the swim.! Again, if I was in the pool, I would say NO PROBLEM, as I done it in like 23 - 24 mins.. But open water.. ?? I have issues..!

A couple of Rules they put out..! I love rule #8..


Rules
We try not to have a lot of rules. The few rules we do have are to make sure competitors have a safe course and a good time! But we do have some basic guidelines that you'll need to know before race day.


1. Enjoy the competitive spirit, the great people and the beautiful venue at Winding Trails!


2. Gear requirements: bike helmet, helmet number, event issued swim cap, race numbers displayed with body markings for the swim, official bike plate on frame and official run number on the front of your body, Winning Time Chip on Velcro strap on your ankle. (ChampionChips will not work at this event. You must have a Winning Time chip, issued by us, on your ankle).


3. Wetsuits are optional up to 84 degrees. Water temperature readings will be taken on Saturday, September 11 and posted at registration and announced at mandatory pre-race meeting at 7:20 a.m.


4. Absolutely no headphones allowed on any part of the race.


5. Transition #2 cutoff time is strictly enforced. You have 2 hours to complete the swim and bike. Competitors not making the cutoff may continue on the run and they will receive an official time and finisher medal.


6. Bar ends must be plugged.


7. Competitors are responsible for setting up their own gear in transition areas.


8. No frantic spouses, overly involved parents or nervous boyfriends allowed in transition.





No comments:

Post a Comment