Why not me?

2 years ago, my brother-in-law ( Tech-Tri ) convienced my husband to run a marathon. It was so amazing watching him train and finish. I thought, I can do that too.. But wait? there is not one athletic bone in my body. I'm over wieght.. there is no way I can do that. My husband encouraged me, and I signed up to join a running group. (run/walk). best thing I ever did. Ran my first 5k July of 2009. Well this year again, My brother-in-law (love him!) conviences by husband to do triathlon. So I figured what the heck if he can do it..

Then why not me.!

So this is all about my adventures in training for my first sprint Triathlon. I picked the Women's Triathlon.


Monday, September 13, 2010

Women's Triathlon Race Report


Was very excited this morning to start my very 1st Triathlon. After many times being a spectator, I am finally on the other side of the Transition fence..! Got up at 4:00am this morning, surprisingly I actually slept pretty well. I was in bed by 9:00pm the night before. My husband wakes up and loudly puts on some pumping music. My daughters thought it was funny, blaring the music so loud at 4:00am, but it put everyone in a great mood. I had my breakfast which ended up being a plan bagel with peanut butter and honey, (only ate one half) and then a couple of bites of a banana. For some reason I was not hungry, But I knew I had to eat something. While my sweet husband packed the car, I had time to relax and take my time getting ready. We got to the race site, a little after 5:30am. When to get body marked and set up my transition. I ended up getting a end spot. Which was nice. As my family can see me without any issues throughout transition.

I was very excited seeing all my group friends.. We were all very excited and giving each other good luck for the race. I started to put on my wetsuit, when my twin sister showed up. Very excited she came. This would be her 1st triathlon she ever spectated at. My daughters said she was very excited through the whole event.

SWIM - 28:53 min

I was in the 3rd wave, every 4 mins they had one go. I was very nervous of the swim part prior to going into this. As I am not a very good swimmer, I need a lot of work. I also knew for some reason I do not have the stamina to keep swimming. The swim was a triangle swim, Buoys on the right up till the sailboat and then back. I figured my time would be over 30 mins. As last time I swam 1/2 mile it took me over that, and then I figured with the rush that I may panic and slow down. During the swim of course I struggled, but it was great to hear the motivation of the ladies going by. One lady asked me for my name, and together she said we will make it to the end. She would always keep me in her sites, and look back to make sure I was ok. Thank you Katie.. Another motivation was when I was close to the shore, I could not see her but I could here my oldest daughter yelling "GO MOM GO.. Your almost there, don't stop". It touched me that she was cheering me on. So I took one last look and give it all I got to make it so shore. I was so happy when I got there. Best part of all I did it in 28:53 mins..! not great, but better then I thought I would do.

T2 - 3:33

I struggled with my wetsuit. I have not mastered that yet. Plus when I got to my transition area it looked like a hurricane ran through there, I had wetsuits in my area, I couldn't find a thing. Totally forgot to where my arm warmers. Regretted on the bike ride, as I was cold.

Bike - 52:10 mins

Bike was actually pretty good. I passes a few people. I have road the route before so I knew what to except. I was so cold, (man those arm warmers would have been nice) the bad thing is that I didn't drink much on the ride, which my husband was not thrilled to see. One reason was because I had to go the bathroom so bad. It didn't help with the pressure of the bike seat either. The route was fairly flat, a small area of rolling hills, and then 1 main hill. I got pretty good at changing gears so I was ok with it. I did manage to take a gel pack while riding, prior to getting into the end of the ride.


T2 - 1:41

I didn't have to change shoes, as I have a hybrid, so I just wore my old running sneakers, as I knew the run is off trails and I figured they would get dirty and gross anyways. I struggled getting my bike on the rack, as most of the bikes were all back, so I had to squeeze mine in. The good thing I was at the end of the racks, as my family informed me while I was about to run off, that I didn't have my race/number belt on.

Run - 39:14

This was a hilly and very sandy run. It was like running on the beach with roots everywhere, so you had to keep an eye on that. I felt pretty good, surprisingly, as I hate running. I kept a good pace, skip the 1st water station, as I still needed to go to the bathroom, I did end of taking a sip of water on the 2nd station - Mile 2, as my throat was kind of dry. I finished strong at the end, by passing 1 person, as my daughter and sister were cheering me on. My husband was at the finish line. He gave me a high five just after the finish shoot. In one of the professional pictures (Bid number #305) you can see his hand sticking out giving me a high five.

Total time - 2:05: 29... Instead of medals, they gave out a custom pin designed by Karen Rossi. Cute- it has a sneaker, helmet and goggles.

Overall - Besides the swim, which was to me the hardest part. I felt good the whole race. I had a great time, and it showed, all of my pictures I was smiling in them. (You can see the link above for the professional pictures, I will add in the pictures that my family took as soon as my husband downloads them.) It was just great to see someone from my family each time I ran around one corner or another. I see now how much being a supporter really means to the athlete.

I loved having them there,. so thank you to Team Myra... David, Ashley, Samantha and Zoe..! Love you guys.!

1 comment:

  1. CONGRATS on your first triathlon!!!!!!!! YOu need to do Cedar Beach with us :)

    ReplyDelete